Assessing the Consultant
Whether you are a CMC consultant, project manager, or a MBA graduate, you need to know your strengths and where you need to develop your professional skills. Assessment of management advisors is normally based on technical knowledge. (Your knowledge of IT strategy, project methodologies, how well you know and can articulate ERP, HR, logistics, or some other specialisation). How do you go beyond that?
Professional institutes like those affiliated to ICMCI and PMI examine prospective candidates based on a more holistic view, looking at their past history of successful assignments. This usually extends into the broader areas of overall consulting skills, ethics, and client engagement. This approach can act as a good filter for new members but it doesn’t support ongoing assessment and professional development. For example:
- How can you easily identify a consultant’s strength and weaknesses at a given point in time?
- How do you review the same consultant in the future to see if their overall performance has been enhanced over time as more experience has been obtained?
This leads into broader questions aimed at the individual consultant such as:
- How do you know how you are performing as a consultant?
- How do you know you are providing ongoing value to the client?
- How do you measure your professional development and career progression?
- How does a prospective consultant or project manager measure their level of preparedness to practice?
- How do you compare consultants from different geographies and affiliations?
What is really needed is a readily available tool that any consultant can use at any time to self-assess against the core competencies of consulting and identify areas for professional development.
“AssessMyConsulting.com” is a new free online application to measure consultant skills and performance. It is an ideal strategy and personal development tool for CMC practitioners (and those aspiring to be), project consultants or even MBA graduates who typically follow careers in consulting.
The online tool allows the user to assess your current level of consulting capability and identify opportunities for development. The standard assessment is free and anonymous, but a more detailed premium assessment is also available for a small fee with a link sent to your email.
The online application is based on an internationally developed and recognised framework that considers a consultant’s abilities across five core competencies: business competence, technical competence, consulting skills, values and behaviour competence, and personal development. Each competency is further defined by component, sub-competency, and core skill.
The online assessment application asks the user to rates their abilities on a ranked scale between 1 and 9 in terms of perceived strength and weakness which is relative to the user. 57 questions are presented in random order, that are later related directly back to the competency framework and the sub-categories.
Online assessment tool is designed to:
- assist in building consulting competence
- promote the development of new skills and capabilities
- broaden consultant opportunities in the consulting marketplace
- create a competitive advantage over others who may rely on static experience.
- support professional development
The online assessment provided to the user as a result of completing the self-assessment process covers the competencies, by component, sub-competency, and core skill. This is depicted in both graphical and tabular formats. The premium assessment, provides a detailed breakdown of how the user answered each question, and how this relates to component, sub-competency, and core skill.
A sample assessment can be found here: